Topics Map > Software > Teams
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure - Installing the VMware Horizon Desktop Client
This guide outlines the procedure for installation and configuration of the VMware Horizon Desktop Client
1. Navigate to https://virtual.swtc.edu. When the site loads, select Install VMware Horizon Client on the left.
2. You will be redirected to the VMware download site. Select the download for the appropriate operating system (OS). For information about finding your operating system, see here.
3. You will be redirected to download the client for the OS you chose in step 2. Click the blue Download button to begin.
4. The client will begin downloading. Depending on what browser you use the download progress will be shown on the bottom of the browser.
5. When the download has completed, either browse to your default download folder, or press Ctrl + J (on Windows) or Option-Command-L (Mac) to bring up the browser download menu. Shown below. Run the installer to begin the install.
6. When the installer loads, select Agree & Install to accept the default installation configuration. When completed, click Finish.
7. The final prompt you will see asks to restart your computer before using the software. Note: ITS recommends that you restart your computer before using the VMware desktop client.
8. After restarting, launch the VMware Horizon Client. On first launch, you will see an icon to Add Server. Double click the add server to get conneted.
9. Enter virtual.swtc.edu and select Connect to add the server to your connection list.
10. You will then be prompted to log in with your netID. Enter your credentials and click Login.
If your name is John Smith and your student ID is 1234567, you will log in with smi4567. If you need assistance with account access or password reset, please visit our KB page: https://kb.swtc.edu/82541
11. Once you login you will now see your the virtual machines your account is entitled for. You can then click on the virtual machine and it will load and fill your screen and you can begin using the virtual desktop.
Note: You do not need to complete these steps again after initial configuration. These will remain persistent as long as the VMware Horizon Client is installed on your computer.