Topics Map > Software > Windows
Student Laptop - Audio Driver Fix
This guide walks through rolling back the problem driver that causes audio issues on student laptops.
Following this guide will resolve the audio driver issue and restore functionality.
1. Navigate to the Windows Start Menu and type Device Manager. Click on the search result to open the Device Manager window.
2. Scroll down to the section Sound, video and game controllers. Click the menu to expand and show devices in this category.
3. Right click on the Realtek(R) Audio device.
Select Properties to open the device menu.
4. In the device properties menu, click on the Driver tab.
5. Note the driver version on the page. The affected driver is version 6.0.9247.1. To uninstall and revert to a known working version, select Roll Back Driver.
6. In the Roll Back Driver window, select the reason for rolling back (My apps don't work with this driver) then click Yes.
7. The driver will revert to a previous version and the device properties menu will reappear. The version of the driver should now be 6.0.9215.1. Click Close to leave the window.
8. Close out of the Device Manager window. Lastly, you will receive a prompt to restart your computer. Click to restart and complete the roll back process. Once rebooted, the audio keys functionality should be restored.