Office 365 - Install Office 2016 on your Personal Computer (Windows/Mac)
This document will show students, faculty, and staff how to install Office 2016 on their personal computer.
What is Office 365?
Who Can Install Office 365?
Where Can I Install It?
NOTE: Please uninstall all other versions of Office (including trial versions, and Office click to run) prior installing Office 365. Failing to do so may result in a failed installation.
Instructions for Uninstalling Other Versions of Office:
- Sign up for a Microsoft account using your Southwest Tech email. You must use your Southwest Tech email address to sign up (ex. email@example.com).
- Log into your student email and open the email from the Office 365 to get your verification code.
- Complete Office 365 Education signup by entering your name, creating a password, and entering your verification code to create a Microsoft account.
- Click "Skip" on the send invitations page.
- You will be redirected to the Office 365 website. If not, log into the Office 365 website at https://portal.office.com using your Microsoft credentials you created in the previous steps or your faculty/staff credentials.
- Click "Install Office apps" and then "Office 2016".
- When the download is complete, run the "Office Setup" file you just downloaded.
- Click the "plus" sign next to your operating system below for instructions on how to finish the installation.
If prompted, click "Yes" on the "User Account Control" window.
- Office 2016 will now download and install. Please be patient as this can be a large download and long installation depending on your computer and internet speed.
- When the installation is complete, click "Close".
- The first time you open an Office application you will be prompted to accept the license agreement. Click "Accept and start Word".
On the "Introduction" step, lick "Continue" .
- On the "License" step, click "Continue".
- On the "Installation Type" step, click "Install".
- Wait for the installation to complete. Please be patient because Office may take some time to install.
- After the installation is complete, click "Close".
- Unless you want to keep the installer (which can be re-downloaded at any time), click "Move to Trash" to delete it.
- The installation of Office is now complete. When you open one of the Office programs, such as Microsoft Word, you will get a "What's New in Word" screen. Click "Get Started" to open the program.
- You will now need to sign in with your Microsoft Account to activate Office. Click "Sign In" at the Active Office screen.
- Enter in your student email (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org) and then click "Next".
- Enter in the password for your Microsoft Account that you created in Step 3 and click "Sign in".
- Wait for the license to activate.
- On the "How would you like Office to look" screen, click "Continue". If you would prefer, you can change the theme from "Colorful" to "Classic".
- Setup and activation is now complete. Click "Start Using Word" to finish.