Topics Map > Software > Smartsheet
Smartsheet - How do I obtain access to Smartsheet?
This document explains the process of obtaining access to Smartsheet
Smartsheet is administered by Gateway Technical College (GTC) as part of a WTCS consortium purchase.
Smartsheet faculty\staff users can be added by submitting a case to the Charger Helpdesk. We currently have 30 licensed users with no plans to add any more. If you feel someone in your department needs functionality of the licensed user (see below), that will be determined by ITS. There is a licensed user in about every department of the College and those users can create/make changes to the structure and create forms in Smartsheet for unlicensed users.
Unlicensed user account creation:
- Visit www.smartsheet.com
- Click the "Try Smartsheet for free" link at the top of the page.
- Fill out the form completely - be sure to use your SWTC NetID (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Click the "Try Smartsheet for Free" button/link.
- Check your SWTC email for an email from Smartsheet containing a confirmation link.
- Click the Confirmation link within the email
- Create your Smartsheet.com password in the newly opened Smartsheet.com window.
- Your account is now setup and will be automatically added as an unlicensed user in our Smartsheet Enterprise account.
Types of Users
A license is required to do the following:
- Create and own sheets and templates
- Create and own reports (not available on the Individual plan)
- Insert and delete columns (also requires Sheet Owner or Admin access to the sheet)*
- Change column properties (also requires Sheet Owner or Admin access to the sheet)
- Hide/unhide columns (also requires Sheet Owner or Admin access to the sheet)
- Create and modify forms (also requires Sheet Owner or Admin access to the sheet)
- Request backups of sheets
- View Activity Log
- Create automated update requests and approval requests. (See for more information.)
*If moving rows to another sheet requires the creation ofnew columns, you must have a licenseand be shared to the destination sheet with Adminpermissions.
Licensed Users can be shared on any amount of sheets, butcan only create a certain amount, based on your Smartsheet paid plan type.
Unlicensed users are part of a Business or Enterpriseaccount but aren't able to create or own sheets. They don't count against theuser limit of the account. Unlicensed users can access shared sheets as Viewers(read-only), Editors (edit cell data), Admins (manage the sheet), and can even re-share them depending on the they were assigned.
NOTE: If an unlicensed user is shared to a sheet as anAdmin, they won't be able to create and manage forms on the sheet or insert,rename, delete, hide/unhide, move or change the properties of columns. Thesefeatures are available only to the sheet owner and licensed users with Adminsharing permissions.