Topics Map > Software > Smartsheet
Smartsheet - What types of users exist in Smartsheet?
This document will explain the type of users that exist in Smartsheet. In addition, it will explain the functionality difference between licensed and unlicensed users.
Types of Users
A license is required to do the following:
- Create and own sheets and templates
- Create and own reports (not available on the Individual plan)
- Insert and delete columns (also requires Sheet Owner or Admin access to the sheet)*
- Change column properties (also requires Sheet Owner or Admin access to the sheet)
- Hide/unhide columns (also requires Sheet Owner or Admin access to the sheet)
- Create and modify forms (also requires Sheet Owner or Admin access to the sheet)
- Request backups of sheets
- View Activity Log
- Create automated update requests and approval requests. (See for more information.)
*If moving rows to another sheet requires the creation of new columns, you must have a license and be shared to the destination sheet with Admin permissions.
Licensed Users can be shared on any amount of sheets, but can only create a certain amount, based on your Smartsheet paid plan type.
Unlicensed users are part of a Business or Enterprise account but aren't able to create or own sheets. They don't count against the user limit of the account. Unlicensed users can access shared sheets as Viewers (read-only), Editors (edit cell data), Admins (manage the sheet), and can even re-share them depending on the they were assigned.
NOTE: If an unlicensed user is shared to a sheet as an Admin, they won't be able to create and manage forms on the sheet or insert, rename, delete, hide/unhide, move or change the properties of columns. These features are available only to the sheet owner and licensed users with Admin sharing permissions.