Chrome - Sync Account Settings (Bookmarks, Passwords, etc.)
This document will show you how to enable "Sync" in Chrome to backup your bookmarks, passwords, and more.
The Charger Helpdesk recommends using Google Chrome as your default browser unless a specific web browser is required (ex. Internet Explorer is required for CAMS). Google Chrome has many advantages over Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, most notably being the "Sync" feature. Sync allows you backup/sync your Chrome settings such bookmarks, passwords, and more to your Google account. You can sign into Chrome on any computer, with your Google account, and have access to all your data no matter where you are. This feature protects your browser settings from data loss if you were to have a hardware failure or a virus.
See "Windows 10 - Changing the Default Browser" for instructions on how to change your default browser.
- You will need a Google account to configure sync. If you don't have a Google account follow the "Google - Create a Google Account with your Southwest Tech Email (Staff/Faculty)" guide.
- In Chrome, select the "User" icon in the top right.
- Click "Turn on sync...".
- Sign in with your Google account.
- After signing in a "Turn on sync?" window will appear. Click "Turn on".
- By default, all of your data is now syncing. This includes:
- Themes & Wallpapers
- Open Tabs
- Payment methods and addresses using Google Play
If you're satisfied with these backup settings there is nothing else you need to do.
Changing Sync Settings
If you would like to change your Sync settings follow the steps below.
- Select the "User" icon in the top right.
- Click in the "Syncing to" area.
- Click on the "Sync" section.
- Uncheck the "Sync everything" switch and then uncheck the switches on any of the other sections you don't want synced. The Charger Helpdesk recommends that you keep Bookmarks synced.