Topics Map > Software
VLC - Play a DVD with Closed Captions
This document will show you how to open a DVD in VLC and turn on closed captioning.
- Insert the DVD into your computer.
Depending on your computer settings the DVD may start automatically in VLC. If it starts automatically skip to step 5.
- Open up "File Explorer" from the taskbar.
- Select "This PC" in the left navigation pane of File Explorer.
- Double click on the DVD Drive and it should open in VLC. If it doesn't, right clicking on the DVD Drive and selecting "Play with VLC media player".
- Select the appropriate options within the DVD menus to play your video.
- In the VLC toolbar, click on the "Subtitles" option.
- Select "Sub Track" and then select the closed captions you would like to play.
Note that sometimes there may be multiple tracks and non-closed captioned tracks. Some DVDs may also have different labels on their tracks. If applicable, make sure you are selecting the closed captioning option. Generally, "Closed captions 1" is the track name you will be looking for.