Topics Map > Software
Topics Map > Hardware
Charger Tech 360 (Student Laptop Program)
This document outlines software setup procedures for your new SWTC-issued HP laptop.
Welcome to Charger Tech 360 page. For additional information regarding the Charger Tech 360 including eligibility and registering to receive your device, please visit the Charger Tech 360 information page.
With the Charger Tech 360 program, students receive a HP EliteBook 745 G6 laptop and a branded Targus Groove backpack. Your new HP laptop comes with a number of preinstalled software packages. Click the guides and software below to learn about setup, use, and features.
Support is only provided for software issued and used by Southwest Tech staff and students. We do not provide support, backup, or recovery options for personal software on school-issued laptops, or personal hardware components attached to school-issued laptops. This includes, but is not limited to: personal printers, phones, tablets, storage devices, game controllers, external keyboards & mice, optical media devices.
Laptop hardware support is provided solely by the Charger Technology Support Center. Failure to disclose hardware issues may result in the assessment of additional fees.
Laptop Quick Start Guide
Microsoft Edge (Web Browser)
Microsoft Edge is the default web browser installed on the student laptops. Microsoft Edge is the supported browser by the Charger Technology Support Center, however you may install other browsers if you choose. Edge is the recommended browser for it's compatibility and ability to to be backed up.Introduction to Microsoft Edge.
1. Launch Microsoft Edge
2. You will be prompted to set up a new tab page. Select a layout and click Confirm.
3. Edge will prompt you to sync browsing data across all signed-in devices. Choose Yes or No, then click Confirm. For more information about customizing sync settings, visit Microsoft's sync settings documentation page.
4. Edge setup is complete. You can now use the browser and follow tutorials to learn about it's features.
Microsoft Outlook (Email)
Microsoft Outlook, along with the other Office products, come pre-installed on your student laptop. You may use the Outlook application to access your email or webmail at https://outlook.office.com.Introduction to Microsoft Outlook
1. Launch Microsoft Outlook
2. Enter your student email address if it does not automatically populate. (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) Click Connect.
3. You will be prompted to enter your password. Select the Remember my credentials box. Click OK when done.
4. Optional - At the bottom of the next window, you can select Set up Outlook Mobile on my phone, too.
5. Your email is now configured for use. Click Done to launch and use Outlook.
Microsoft OneDrive (Cloud Backup)
OneDrive is automatically configued on your student laptop to automatically backup and sync any files you have saved in your Desktop, Documents, or Pictures folders. Your student account has 1TB of storage space.Introduction to Microsoft OneDrive.
1. The OneDrive icon will display in your system tray (in the bottom right corner of your screen).
2. Click on it to access your OneDrive files.
3. Your synced OneDrive files will appear in the window whenever the icon is clicked.
2. If you want to change the folders you sync on your computer, click the cloud icon in the taskbar, and select Help & Settings > Settings > Account > Choose Folders. Find other information about your account and change other OneDrive settings here.
Your laptop is preconfigured to automatically download and install Windows Updates and other necessary software updates to keep your computer secure. You must be connected to an internet source for updates to download.
When your laptop has downloaded new updates, you may be prompted to restart your computer for the updates to take effect. You will receive a toast notification in the bottom right corner of your laptop. Additionally, an update notification with an orange circle will appear in your system tray (bottom right corner next to time and date) indicating there are update installations pending.
The Charger Technology Support Center requires that all student laptops update in a timely fashion to keep our students safe. Your computer must install updates within five (5) days after receiving them. If you choose to postpone installation and exceed the 5 day limit, your computer will restart automatically. You will receive the message shown below.
To avoid the loss of data due to automatic update install, please restart your computer when time permits after you receive the initial notification.
Device Cleaning & Care
CDC-recommended disinfectant is an alcohol solution consisting of 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. Isopropyl Alcohol is sold in most stores, usually in a 70% Isopropyl Alcohol/30% Water solution. It may also be marketed as rubbing alcohol.
For optimal care, please follow these guidelines to clean your laptop:
- Wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting surfaces.
- Turn off the device and disconnect AC power (for printers, devices should be unplugged from the outlet).
- Remove batteries and disconnect any external devices.
- Never clean a product while it is powered on or plugged in.
- Spray or lightly dip a microfiber cloth with the mixture of 70% isopropyl alcohol / 30% water.
- Do not use fibrous materials, such as paper towels or toilet paper.
- The cloth should be damp, but not dripping wet.
- Do not spray any liquids directly onto the product.
- Gently wipe the cloth on the surfaces to be cleaned.
- Do not allow any moisture to drip into areas like keyboards, display panels, or USB ports, as it can damage to the product.
- When cleaning a display screen, carefully wipe in one direction, moving from the top of the display to the bottom.
- Ensure surfaces have completely air-dried before turning the device on after cleaning.
- Gloves should be discarded after each cleaning. Wash hands immediately after gloves are removed.
Many common household cleaners and disinfectants can damage electronic products. Do not use any of the following chemicals or any solutions that contain them, including spray-based surface cleaners:
- Peroxides (including hydrogen peroxide)
- Ethyl alcohol
- Methylene chloride
If you are not sure whether a cleaning product is suitable, or if it is not specifically listed in this section or in one of the referenced documents, do not use it.
Use your notebook (laptop) on a hard surface, such as a desk, tray, or table.
- Do not use the notebook on soft surfaces, such as bed comforters, cushions and pillows, clothing, or carpet. Such surfaces can block the air flow through the vents, which can cause heat to build up within the notebook's enclosure.
Use or store your notebook (laptop) in environments that conform to temperature and humidity specifications.
- Excessive heat or cold can damage your notebook computer and prevent it from operating properly.
Use or store the notebook in a clean environment.
- Do not use or store the computer in an environment characterized by high humidity, dust, grit, or smoky conditions.
- Do not use the keyboard with sticky, dirty, or greasy fingers. This can leave debris behind, which can easily contaminate the computer's internal components. Debris on the keyboard can also scratch and stain the notebook display when the lid is closed.
- Keep all liquids, such as coffee, cola, water, or cleaning solvents away from the keyboard.
- Do not eat or drink while using the notebook.
Use only the power adapter that came with your HP notebook. If the power adapter is lost, the Charger Bookstore has HP power adapters for sale.
For more information, please visit the official HP device care Knowledge Base document.
Additional Pre-installed Software
This software is installed on all student laptops:
- Adobe Reader - PDF viewer
- Microsoft 365 Apps - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, OneNote
- Respondus Lockdown Browser - Schoology testing software
- TeamViewer - Remote support software
- VLC Media Player - Open-source multimedia player that plays most multimedia file types and formats
- Windows Defender - Anti-virus software
- Zoom - Video conferencing software (For Zoom instructions and guides, visit our KB page: https://kb.swtc.edu/82356)
Optional Software Available
The following course specific software is in the Company Portal. Your instructor will notify if you need to install the software listed below. For instructions on using the Company Portal please view: https://kb.swtc.edu/103169
- Ag Leader SMS (Additional Instructions)
- CCC Timeclock (Additional Instructions)
- Dairy Comp Academic
- Microsoft Visio
- Multisim (Additional Instructions)
- PicoScope (Additional Instructions)
- QuickBooks (Additional Instructions)
- RationPRO MVP
- Sage 50 (Additional Instructions)
- SketchUp (Additional Instructions)
- Torchmate CAD EDU (Additional Instructions)
- VMWare Horizon Client
Frequently Asked Questions
Please refer to the Charger Tech 360 page on the Southwest Tech website for all FAQs.