Topics Map > Software > Zoom
Zoom - Basic Troubleshooting
This document outlines basic troubleshooting for Zoom connectivity related issues.
Table of Contents
I'm unable to join a Zoom meeting
If you're unable to join a meeting, follow these steps:
- If you're on a computer or mobile device, ensure that the Zoom client is installed and up to date. Check what version of Zoom is installed
- Verify the start time of the meeting; if the Join Before Host functionality is not enabled, you can join a meeting but will see this screen:
I have joined a meeting but cannot see or hear anyone
If you're in a meeting and cannot see or hear anyone else:
- Confirm the meeting time with the host and verify that you are in the correct Zoom meeting by matching the host's meeting ID with the meeting ID in your current session (for example, Zoom Meeting ID: 123-456-7890). If these meeting IDs do not match, you have joined a different meeting. Ask the host for the correct meeting information to proceed.
- If you are in the correct meeting, verify that your computer or mobile device audio is not set to mute and is functional outside of the Zoom client. Windows Audio Troubleshooting
- If none of the above steps resolve the issue, refer to Microsoft's documentation on audio troubleshooting
Mac Audio Troubleshooting
- Verify that your Mac's audio is not set to mute. Navigate to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Sound and verify that the sound is not set to mute under the Output volume settings.
Meeting participants cannot see or hear me
If you're in a meeting and other participants cannot see or hear you:
- Ensure that you have not muted your audio and/or disabled your video in the Zoom client. Refer to our KB article on Audio/Video Settings in a Zoom Meeting.
- Verify that your computer privacy settings allow Zoom to access the Camera and Microphone.
- If you are using an external webcam (i.e. connected via USB), unplug your webcam and plug it back in.
- For Windows webcam issues, ensure that device drivers are fully updated.
- If the above steps do not resolve the issue, refer to popular vendor-specific articles on hardware troubleshooting:
- Lenovo Webcam Support
- For all other vendors, please search their respective websites for integrated webcam troubleshooting guides.
My video feed is poor qualityIf you're in a meeting and the video feed is poor or choppy:
- Exit the meeting, exit the Zoom client, reopen Zoom, and reconnect to the meeting.
- Check your internet download speed using a service such as Speedtest.net . Compare the results to Zoom's System Requirements .