Student Laptop Program
This document outlines software setup procedures for your new HP laptop.
Student Laptop Program
Welcome to Student Laptop Program page. For additional information regarding the Student Laptop Program, including eligibility and registering to receive your device, please visit https://www.swtc.edu/laptop
Your new HP laptop comes with a number of preinstalled software packages. Click the software below to learn about setup and use features.
Student Laptop Quick Start Guide
Microsoft Edge (Web Browser)
Microsoft Edge is the default web browser installed on the student laptops. Microsoft Edge is the supported browser by the Charger Technology Support Center, however you may install other browsers if you choose. Edge is the recommended browser for it's compatibility and ability to to be backed up.Introduction to Microsoft Edge.
1. Launch Microsoft Edge
2. You will be prompted to set up a new tab page. Select a layout and click Confirm.
3. Edge will prompt you to sync browsing data across all signed-in devices. Choose Yes or No, then click Confirm. For more information about customizing sync settings, visit Microsoft's sync settings documentation page.
4. Edge setup is complete. You can now use the browser and follow tutorials to learn about it's features.
Microsoft Outlook (Email)
Microsoft Outlook, along with the other Office products, come pre-installed on your student laptop. You may use the Outlook application to access your email or webmail at https://outlook.office.com.Introduction to Microsoft Outlook
1. Launch Microsoft Outlook
2. Enter your student email address if it does not automatically populate. (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) Click Connect.
3. You will be prompted to enter your password. Select the Remember my credentials box. Click OK when done.
4. Optional - At the bottom of the next window, you can select Set up Outlook Mobile on my phone, too.
5. Your email is now configured for use. Click Done to launch and use Outlook.
For additional Outlook training, visit Microsoft's official documentation.
OneDrive is automatically configued on your student laptop to automatically backup and sync any files you have saved in your Desktop, Documents, or Pictures folders. Your student account has 1TB of storage space.Introduction to Microsoft OneDrive.
Additional Pre-installed Software
This software is installed on all student laptops
- Adobe Reader - PDF viewer
- Microsoft 365 Apps - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, OneNote
- Respondus Lockdown Browser - Schoology testing software
- TeamViewer - Remote support software
- VLC Media Player - Multimedia player that plays most multimedia file types and formats
- Windows Defender - Anti-virus software
- Zoom - Video conferencing software
Optional Software Available
The following course specific software is in the Company Portal. Your instructor will notify if you need to install the software listed below. For instructions on using the Company Portal please view: https://kb.swtc.edu/103169
- Ag Leader SMS (Additional Instructions)
- CCC Timeclock (Additional Instructions)
- Dairy Comp Academic
- MasterCam (Additional Instructions)
- Microsoft Visio
- PicoScope (Additional Instructions)
- QuickBooks (Additional Instructions)
- RationPRO MVP
- Sage 50 (Additional Instructions)
- SketchUp (Additional Instructions)
- Torchmate CAD EDU (Additional Instructions)
- VMWare Horizon Client